Author Topic: Christmas Party  (Read 21499 times)

aleks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Christmas Party
« on: 2007-12-11 12:33:39 »
You suckers ;D - we didn't even manage to organize an Ersti-Party. So let's at least have a great Christmas party! I think next Thursday would be a great idea. Friday's too late, Wednesday too early.

Let's buy... what exactly? We have some drinks left from Hubert's party but we'll need some more stuff.
So: beer, non-alcoholic beverage... (a bottle of apple-juce should do it, eh? :P)
I can take care of the music - will ask Ramon about amplification.

Where? Again in the entrance hall or shall we try to get one of the Seminar-rooms?

People just keep asking me about it, you know?

Desi is ready to help in whatever way she can. Problem is: if it's on Thursday I'll have to leave at 23:00 - or we'll just keep partying on till 4 a.m. :)

Common people, I wanna see some motivation. Who's got a car to go shopping?
« Last Edit: 2007-12-11 12:35:19 by aleks »
"Die Akademie ist hier sehr schwach, ob sie gleich verdienstvolle Leute besitzt und ein ungeheures Geld [...] verwendet wird; allein die alte Form widerspricht jedem fortschreitenden Leben, die Wirkungen greifen nicht ineinander"
Goethe in Tübingen, 1797

Laura

• View Profile
Re: Christmas Party
« Reply #1 on: 2007-12-11 14:01:01 »
Thanks for trying. I'll be there if you manage to get people to agree on a date, and I'll help with decoration and preparations.

Laura

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007-12-12 11:34:57 »
I heard the rumour that there will be a jam session at the Christmas Party - is that true? I'll be there, in that case!

aleks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007-12-12 12:07:35 »
Yes, that's true. I talked to Niels and Ramon yesterday and the first thing Niels said: "Why not have a Jam-Session" (sinngemäß 8))

Niels: Keys; Ramon: Bass, Laura: Clarinet, Vocals; Anne: Oboe, even more Vocals; Hanan: Guitar; Chris?: Guitar; Me: Alto-Bass ;D and probably Cajon, if Niels brings one along (hey, that was a rhyme... so I'll do the lyrics, too :D)

That's all I know so far. We got some equipment, I'll bring my Amp, Niels will bring his - it's not going to be too loud... where?
Let's hope it'll be cool. And of course, we've never played together before so don't expect any presentable results, anyone, you hear me?

Aleks
« Last Edit: 2007-12-12 12:12:14 by aleks »
"Die Akademie ist hier sehr schwach, ob sie gleich verdienstvolle Leute besitzt und ein ungeheures Geld [...] verwendet wird; allein die alte Form widerspricht jedem fortschreitenden Leben, die Wirkungen greifen nicht ineinander"
Goethe in Tübingen, 1797

DrNI

• View Profile
    • My Webpage
« Reply #4 on: 2007-12-12 13:02:18 »
Yes, that's true. I talked to Niels and Ramon yesterday and the first thing Niels said: "Why not have a Jam-Session" (sinngemäß 8))

Actually this is a very old idea brought up by Udi (who went to Berlin/Potsdam after his BA). Unfortunately it never came true so far.

Niels: Keys;

I'll also bring the Fivestring, just in case. Do I need to bring the bass amp? Does it make sense to have 3 of them there? ;-)  The mediocre cajon is still at our singer's place, but I'll get hold of it in time. ;-)

And is there anyone else playing the piano? I can bring mine, but if it's only me I might rather go for the organ, which is a bit less hard to transport but also more special to play. Piano is something like a largest common denominator. ;-) (ah, all-digital, just in case you've been wondering how this guy can drag around pianos and organs...)

Anyone got some active PA speaker(s) for the piano easily available?

Oh btw, this will be mostly unplugged, so trouble guitarist be prepared to turn the volume knob from 11 to 1!

Let's hope it'll be cool. And of course, we've never played together before so don't expect any presentable results, anyone, you hear me?

Well it's a session. Most likely some Blues- and Reggae-alike stuff. I won't join Realbook Jazz pieces, but session also means that not all people are on stage all the time.

How bout encouraging some of the teachers? There's rumors about a Perl person playing trumpet, ... ;-)

N.

aleks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007-12-12 13:29:22 »
Dale plays the trupet? Why not...

You got a Hammond-Organ? ;D

(You know, some years ago I read through Paul Westwood's Bass Bible - on more than one occasion, the German translation would speak of the 'traditional' line-up of a Rock band: "Gitarre, Schlagzeug, Harfe, Gesang"... I was quite puzzled until I figured out that they translated 'Hammond' with 'Harfe' instead of leaving it there as a proper name. Dunno if that's a machine's or a human's fault. But given the overall quality of the translation, I'd say it was a machine)

Yeah, just some open-mic kind of stuff. By the way, we'll not need more than two bass guitars at a time so three amps would be too much. I'll bring mine along and one of you guys can bring his as well.
Goethe in Tübingen, 1797

Laura

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007-12-12 13:39:15 »
HOOOORAY! Finally! I mean, I haven't properly practised for 2 1/2 years now, but I can do something over the weekend  ::) , and after all, improvisation is the keyword, isn't it? What about violoncello and viola (Johannes and Dominikus)? Can we fit them in anywhere? In case they want to? And where are we going to play at all? And does anyone know anyone who plays the violin? (If so, I'll condemn Johannes, Dominikus and the yet unknown fiddler to play a tango I composed years ago with me some time...)

DrNI

• View Profile
    • My Webpage
« Reply #7 on: 2007-12-12 14:03:11 »
Dale plays the trupet? Why not...

You got a Hammond-Organ? ;D

http://www.drni.de/niels/drni/musik/fotos/instrumente-pix/1.html (no, I don't have all of these pictured in the gallery at home, actually I sold most of them, .... in order to buy others. ;-) )

"Harfe" ... blues harp, maybe?

Yeah, just some open-mic kind of stuff. By the way, we'll not need more than two bass guitars at a time so three amps would be too much. I'll bring mine along and one of you guys can bring his as well.

Open Mic without mics, though.

If we don't make this unplugged all the instruments without phone jack connectors will either be in trouble or we'll have a lot of fun with microphones and mixing.

Laura

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007-12-12 18:06:13 »
I can be loud. But it doesn't sound too nice.

Kilian

• View Profile
    • Texttheater
« Reply #9 on: 2007-12-12 18:10:31 »
And does anyone know anyone who plays the violin?

Prof. Sternefeld, if I remember correctly...?

As for shopping, I have the Fachschaft money, so tell me who to give how much.
There was n-ary a tree in sight.

Laura

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007-12-12 18:58:11 »
Uh, no. A professor who is too busy to write a student a recommendation letter is also too busy to play music.

Shopping:

- Lebkuchen (zartbitter, bitte)
- Spekulatius (ohne Butter, ohne Mandeln)
- Marzipanstollen
- Dominosteine
- anderes Weihnachtsgebäck nach Wunsch
- drinks: KiBa, water, apple juice etc... ask sb else...

-> You'll probably get all of this at Tengelmann, just half an hour before the party. When do we want to start anyways? I'm free after 6 o' clock.

aleks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007-12-12 19:54:26 »
And does anyone know anyone who plays the violin?

Prof. Sternefeld, if I remember correctly...?
You don't. He plays a so called 'western concert flute' - or simply 'Querflöte' (had to look that one up...)
As for shopping, I have the Fachschaft money, so tell me who to give how much.
If nobody else volunteers, we'll have to take me, but I'm busy. I can do some shopping on Thursday between 15:00 and 16:00.
Goethe in Tübingen, 1797

johannes

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007-12-12 20:56:08 »
Sorry, I won't be there. A pity, I'm missing an opportunity to torture you all with my cello *g*
No honestly, I'm sort of glad I can get around this embarassing experience...

For me it will be sitting in meditation and drinking tea. I haven't met the Buddhists for over a month, so I'd rather be there.

DrNI

• View Profile
    • My Webpage
« Reply #13 on: 2007-12-12 21:28:21 »
I can be loud. But it doesn't sound too nice.

What's your definition of loud?

8x10" 600W bass amplifier? Or 1x15" 20W bass amplifier? ;-)

Laura

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007-12-13 00:41:33 »
Shrill. Loud. Okay, maybe not all that loud, but piercing. Although I don't want that - it does not sound nice, as I said. No idea about amplifiers. How do you plug one onto a clarinet? :)

DrNI

• View Profile
    • My Webpage
« Reply #15 on: 2007-12-13 19:30:17 »
No idea about amplifiers. How do you plug one onto a clarinet? :)

Shadow offers something for that problem: http://www.shadow-electronics.com/viewpro.html?id=176 No idea how that may sound then.

DrNI

• View Profile
    • My Webpage
« Reply #16 on: 2007-12-16 12:12:03 »
I created some advertising poster for the event which can be downloaded (and modified using Inkscape or Adobe Illustrator or whatever) from here: http://www.drni.de/niels/stuff/xmas-jam.svg

Maybe Sasho can print it on the bored color printer at the SFB. I guess we should have some advertisement at the SfS and SFB doors soon. So tomorrow.

Please have a look (a recent version of Firefox can view SVG, or use Batik Squiggle) and recommend changes or just change it yourself with Inkscape (free for alle major OS).

Cliparts taken from Open Clipart Archive http://www.openclipart.org/

Now exam studying, gnaa this sucks.

N.
« Last Edit: 2007-12-16 12:15:15 by DrNI »

DrNI

• View Profile
    • My Webpage
« Reply #17 on: 2007-12-16 12:21:29 »

aleks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007-12-16 13:54:53 »
Great. Thanks :D

Let's print it somewhere. If it's not possibel in SFB, I can still print it b/w.
Goethe in Tübingen, 1797

smile

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007-12-16 19:55:37 »
I can print it as well  ;D

by the way, have a look with an option for the poster...since the images are a bit illegal :P there are some signs to be seen...but i like the santas :P

http://desi.linuxusers.de/desi/tmp/ChristmaspartySFS.pdf

For the shopping...i already said that i can help or even do it on my own :)

DrNI

• View Profile
    • My Webpage
« Reply #20 on: 2007-12-16 19:59:47 »
Well I leave that up to others to decide on a poster.

One remark, though: Santa is not the guy that shows up on Xmas in Germany. That's American Xmas. Apart from that the Santas and the text are all-bitmap, no vector graphics, this may look nasty if printed out at 600dpi.
« Last Edit: 2007-12-16 20:01:26 by DrNI »

Kilian

• View Profile
    • Texttheater
« Reply #21 on: 2007-12-16 22:44:51 »
Great! I'd go for Niels's poster (more of an eyecatcher in this Santa-polluted time) and leave the word incredible out (cheap irony :P).
There was n-ary a tree in sight.

smile

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007-12-17 00:15:49 »
Hey,

what about some pop-corn as well...i can make some - just need to buy the corn a bit earlier, but this wouldn't be a problem. :)

DrNI

• View Profile
    • My Webpage
« Reply #23 on: 2007-12-17 08:48:50 »
Great! I'd go for Niels's poster (more of an eyecatcher in this Santa-polluted time) and leave the word incredible out (cheap irony :P).

Choice is yours, here is a credible version ;-)

http://www.drni.de/niels/stuff/xmas-jam2.svg
http://www.drni.de/niels/stuff/xmas-jam2.svg.pdf

OK I'm off now until Wednesday or so, got too much stuff to do. Wish the IR participants well for the *grrrr* exam.
« Last Edit: 2007-12-17 08:50:56 by DrNI »

smile

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2007-12-18 19:55:18 »
As Laura already so nicely suggested:

- Lebkuchen (zartbitter, bitte)
- Spekulatius (ohne Butter, ohne Mandeln)
- Marzipanstollen
- Dominosteine
- anderes Weihnachtsgebäck nach Wunsch
- drinks: KiBa, water, apple juice etc... ask sb else...

I would add some beer, wine and even something harder...+ pop-corn...

So, who has an idea how  much we have to buy and who is going to buy it. I will for sure do it - probably Ramon will come - it will be easier with a car. :)

DrNI

• View Profile
    • My Webpage
« Reply #25 on: 2007-12-19 17:11:14 »
8x10" 600W bass amplifier? Or 1x15" 20W bass amplifier? ;-)

Can somebody give me some information on the keyboarders showing up?

I can bring the organ which also fits my tiny guitar amplifier which I could bring as active speaker. However, it might be inconvenient to play for piano players. Or I might drag around the digital piano, but this sounds (apart from the Rhodes sounds) rather stupid over the amp. If anyboy has some useable active speaker (like a 12+2 speaker with volume contrl), please contact me.

DrNI

• View Profile
    • My Webpage
« Reply #26 on: 2007-12-19 18:00:21 »
One more thing: Musicians who want to play certain pieces instead of jamming around on some modal scale (or blues changes, or 2-chord reggae stuff) should ensure the presence of  [a.1) a singer knowning the song OR a.2) an instrumentalist knowing the tune] AND b) a lead sheet with chords.

Online processing of score will be refused by the rhythm section. ;-)