Author Topic: Spam Protect  (Read 5157 times)

DrNI

• View Profile
    • My Webpage
Spam Protect
« on: 2008-11-16 10:04:01 »
Hi folks,

is there a possibility to have stronger spam protection here? I'm reading the forum in my feed reader. It is somewhat annoying to sit in the office having closeups of certain body parts on the screen. Apart from that single case, the text-based spam is simply annoying.

DrNI.

aleks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Spam Protect
« Reply #1 on: 2008-11-16 14:24:18 »
That's why I have a console based (text-only) feed reader.

Erhm.

I'm not really sure what to do about spam on the SMF forum. Honestly, it's been only one incident so far, and we reacted quickly. Ther are some spam accounts around here. We should delete them, I guess.
"Die Akademie ist hier sehr schwach, ob sie gleich verdienstvolle Leute besitzt und ein ungeheures Geld [...] verwendet wird; allein die alte Form widerspricht jedem fortschreitenden Leben, die Wirkungen greifen nicht ineinander"
Goethe in Tübingen, 1797

Kilian

• View Profile
    • Texttheater
« Reply #2 on: 2008-11-16 17:57:01 »
Not quite accurate, we're getting several spam posts a day. Seems I was quicker to delete them most of the time. :)

I think the spam protection would get better if we updated the forum software to the current version (1.1.7). This could be most easily done by auto-update on the admin panel.

Prerequisite: Make the forum source writable for the web server.

I would have done that already if the goddamn VPN crap wasn't malfunctioning these days. Either I get no connection the VPN server or I don't get any connection through it.

Aleks, you have the login data to our virtual server, don't you? If you would...? :)
There was n-ary a tree in sight.

aleks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008-11-16 21:56:17 »
Yes, they've picked up in number, we ought to do something about them.

Sadly, I must say that these account data have proven to be quite…  evasive. I lost them again. Mind sending me an email, Kilian? My key's on the public keyservers, if you need to encrypt it.
"Die Akademie ist hier sehr schwach, ob sie gleich verdienstvolle Leute besitzt und ein ungeheures Geld [...] verwendet wird; allein die alte Form widerspricht jedem fortschreitenden Leben, die Wirkungen greifen nicht ineinander"
Goethe in Tübingen, 1797

Kilian

• View Profile
    • Texttheater
« Reply #4 on: 2008-11-18 20:31:26 »
With Aleks's kind and professional help, I've been able to update the forum software to the newest version. Let's hope the antispam features have improved since 1.1.2.
There was n-ary a tree in sight.