Author Topic: Sam and the Coathangers  (Read 10053 times)

Kilian

• View Profile
    • Texttheater
Sam and the Coathangers
« on: 2006-11-27 23:01:53 »
About a year ago, Sam Featherston explained a difference between English and German syntax using coathangers with revolving hooks. Laura present-mindedly took a photo.

There was n-ary a tree in sight.

johannes

• View Profile
Sam and the Coathangers
« Reply #1 on: 2006-11-30 00:38:08 »
Kilian, how about posting some of Sam's collected quotations here? Wouldn't that fit nicely?

Kilian

• View Profile
    • Texttheater
Sam and the Coathangers
« Reply #2 on: 2006-11-30 10:47:44 »
Now you could ask why they used Greek letters here and wrote alpha = SU, beta = DO and gamma = IO at the bottom instead of just writing SU, DO and IO at the top. The reason for this is that Greek letters look really academic and deeply formal. Isn't it great?

If two people have the same mother, they're sisters - in grammar.

If you say "Sam's destruction of the city", it is quite clear that it is the city that is destroyed. However, if you only say "Sam's destruction", it might well be Sam that is destroyed. Very sad. A very sad thing indeed.

John met a student of art history, and Wolfgang met one of bad character.

How can you show that "student" is a constituent in "John met a student of physics"? Hm, that's tricky... perhaps, if I say: "John met a -krk- of physics", you can say: "John met a what of physics?"

If you don't understand that, you're right.

It is - as linguists put it - "poorly understood", which means basically that we have no idea whatsoever what's going on.

Laura

• View Profile
Sam and the Coathangers
« Reply #3 on: 2006-12-10 17:50:01 »
Nice... and what about all those funny quotes from Frank, Prof. Sternefeld, Prof. v. Stechow (well, concerning the latter, I'd better ask Anne...)? Eagerly waiting for more!  :wink:

Sometime during the last semester, Aleks drew a picture of the "Skeemer" - do you think that would fit in here?

aleks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sam and the Coathangers
« Reply #4 on: 2006-12-11 11:33:37 »
I dunno whether it's on my hard disk still...

Well, whatever. How about making our own ISCL fortune cookie? Just collect the quotations and put the cookie somewhere online (probably Fachschaftswebsite...)
"Die Akademie ist hier sehr schwach, ob sie gleich verdienstvolle Leute besitzt und ein ungeheures Geld [...] verwendet wird; allein die alte Form widerspricht jedem fortschreitenden Leben, die Wirkungen greifen nicht ineinander"
Goethe in Tübingen, 1797

Laura

• View Profile
Sam and the Coathangers
« Reply #5 on: 2006-12-11 13:43:06 »
Aleks, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease! Don't tell me you deleted this supreme piece of artwork!  :cry:  The fortune cookies are a good idea! I'll ask Anne about more quotations.

aleks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sam and the Coathangers
« Reply #6 on: 2006-12-11 14:36:32 »
I already got one from Frank:

" ... because, You know, things the computer scientists do are mostly trivial. "

That's from the last semester :)

We should count how often he uses the word "trivial" per lesson... I got the feeling it were about 50 times this time...
"Die Akademie ist hier sehr schwach, ob sie gleich verdienstvolle Leute besitzt und ein ungeheures Geld [...] verwendet wird; allein die alte Form widerspricht jedem fortschreitenden Leben, die Wirkungen greifen nicht ineinander"
Goethe in Tübingen, 1797

Kilian

• View Profile
    • Texttheater
Sam and the Coathangers
« Reply #7 on: 2006-12-11 14:46:38 »
In sentences like "It looks very difficult at the first sight, but once you've understood it, it's really quite non-trivial. ... Errr, it's quite trivial."

More quotes to come to the "Small talk" board tonight...

Laura

• View Profile
Sam and the Coathangers
« Reply #8 on: 2006-12-11 15:59:59 »
Quote from: "aleks"

We should count how often he uses the word "trivial" per lesson... I got the feeling it were about 50 times this time...

Same for Prof. von Stechow! :)

Armin

• View Profile
Sam and the Coathangers
« Reply #9 on: 2006-12-11 16:10:14 »
v. Stechow in Reinkultur:

"Das habe ich noch nicht verstanden."

über andere:

"Das funktioniert so nicht."

über sich selbst:

"Da habe ich auch schonmal was drüber geschrieben, und zwei Wochen nach der Veröffentlichung festgestellt, dass es falsch war."

Dabei ist er mal ehrlich der Einzige, der richtigen Durchblick hat. Semantik halt...

aleks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sam and the Coathangers
« Reply #10 on: 2006-12-11 16:15:10 »
Aber Armin, das ist doch nicht der Witz der Sache.

Der Witz der Sache ist nämlich, ähm, also wenn wir uns diesen Satz mal anschauen. Der Witz der Sache ist also, also...

Es ist immer wieder lustig, zu sehen, dass die Sachen, die man da gerade lernt, erst vor ein paar Tagen so wirklich Gestalt angenommen haben :) (Das ist der Witz der Sache ;))

Anne sollte eine relativ vollständige Liste aller verbalen Ausrutscher unserer Dozenten haben

(Übrigens find ich den Skeemer grad nimmer... sorry)

Grüße, aleks
Goethe in Tübingen, 1797

Kilian

• View Profile
    • Texttheater
Sam and the Coathangers
« Reply #11 on: 2006-12-11 17:07:02 »
Some quotes from Wolfgang Sternefeld are published on his own web site...

Armin

• View Profile
Sam and the Coathangers
« Reply #12 on: 2006-12-11 17:22:53 »
Erwähnenswert auch seine Karriere, wie er sie selbst sieht:

Okt. 2003 - Sept. 2005 Höhepunkt der Karriere: Hausvogt für das Verfügungsgebäude Wilhelmstr. 19